CT has transformed the practice of dentistry. This course will address recent advances in CBCT imaging and how to incorporate these into the dental practice for optimal patient care. The technology as well as the practical uses of CBCT for improving diagnosis and treatment planning in various fields of dentistry will also be discussed. Participants will be able to get a better understanding of CBCT anatomy and anatomical variations. Image interpretation, writing CBCT reports, as well as medical legal issues will also be addressed. Participants will gain hands-on experience using CBCT software while being guided through proper CBCT interpretation using clinical cases. A case-based approach will be used to methodically review radiographic findings. The presentation will include 3-D illustrated case presentations, discussions, and interactive CBCT interpretations.
Participants may bring up to two anonymized cases each for discussion, following informed consent from the patient. This will be the participants’ responsibility.
Following self-interpretation, over-reads will be done by radiologists as a team-effort.
At conclusion, the attendees will:
- Understand the basic principles and indications and dosimetry of CBCT imaging
- Identify normal anatomical structures and incidental findings
- Be familiar with current recommendations regarding CBCT selection criteria
- Recognize applications of CBCT for implants, impacted teeth, TMD and lesions in the jaws, orthodontics and endodontics.
- Understand the role of CBCT in airway analysis
- Understand the medico-legal implications of CBCT imaging